DELIGHT TOUCH blog
Hi This week we are talking about a real super food that is not that well known . . . . . . . HAWAIIAN SPIRULINA
Spirulina is microscopic blue green microalgae that grows naturally in fresh water ponds and lakes in warm, sunny environments. Spirulina has been used as a food source for centuries. It is considered the most complete naturally cultivated nutrient in the world, and Hawaiian Spirulina has approximately double the levels of key nutrients compared to other brands.
• Approximately 60 percent complete digestible protein – it contains every essential amino acid;
• Contains more carotenoids than any other whole food and an excellent source of vitamins A, K, B12 and iron, manganese and chromium;
• Best wholefood source of gamma linoleic acid (GLA) – an essential fatty acid, necessary for human health. It plays a crucial role in brain function as well as normal growth and development;
• Rich in vitamins, minerals, trace elements, chlorophyll and enzymes.
The benefits of spirulina are numerous
Spirulina strenghtens the immune system and boosts energy levels. In addition to being a wonderful source of protein, spirulina contains more carotenoids than any other whole food. It is also rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients.
There is overwhelming clinical evidence to show that Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica also supports cardiovascular, eye, brain and skin health so this can be your little secret perk for skin improvement.
Hawaiian Spirulina is the only spirulina cultivated in a Biosecure Zone, certified free of pesticides, herbicides and industrial pollutants in Kona, Hawaii, the sunniest coast in the USA.
Each pond is fed with 100% potable drinking water from Hawaiian aquifers and pure deep ocean water with 94 beneficial trace minerals. It is Non-GMO and non-irradiated.
Hawaiian Spirulina is an ideal food supplement for people of all ages and lifestyles. While we all strive to eat a well-balanced diet, our active lifestyles and easy access to processed food often prevent us from getting all the nutrition we need to maintain our health.
The National Research Council Committee on Diet and Health recommends that we eat 5-9 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. One serving of Hawaiian Spirulina has the equivalent of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables and more nutrition than any other single whole food.
The key factors that make Hawaiian Spirulina unique are:
• Continuous cultivation – Since 1985, Hawaiian Spirulina has been in constant production 12 months out of the year – creating a superior strain of spirulina with the highest levels of key nutrients of any spirulina in the world.
• Location – the only spirulina grown on the pristine coast of Kona, Hawaii, a site with more coastal sunlight than any other area of the United States. Constant exposure to sunlight ensures high levels of carotenoids are present in the spirulina.
• Water – Hawaiian Spirulina is cultivated in open ponds using a combination of 100% fresh potable water from Hawaiian aquifers and ultra-pure, deep ocean water. The ocean water enriches Spirulina Pacifica with 94 minerals and trace elements. (All other spirulina farms use river water or irrigation water for cultivation).
What are some of the many benefits Hawaiian Spirulina?
It is a complete protein with high levels of antioxidants, vitamins and phytochemicals including:
• Beta Carotene: Necessary for healthy skin, good vision, and a healthy immune system.
• Vitamin B12: An essential vitamin required for proper red blood cell formation, neurological function, and DNA synthesis.
• Vitamin K1 & Vitamin K2: Essential vitamins known to promote blood clotting and support bone health. Recent studies have confirmed that Vitamin K2 may help osteoporosis and cardiovascular diseases.
• Superoxide Dismutase (SOD): An enzyme that acts as both an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory in the body, neutralizing free radicals and helping to repair cells, for age related degeneration.
• Zeaxanthin: A carotenoid and powerful antioxidant that fights free radical damage with specific benefits for eye and cellular health.
• Phycocyanin: The blue pigment color in nature, only found in spirulina. Supports kidney, liver and brain health.
• Iron: Essential in the formation of red blood cells and transportation of oxygen throughout the body. Iron assists the memory and helps build resistance to infection, stress and disease.
Hawaiian spirulina has high amounts of vitamin A which comes naturally from beta carotene this is one of the ingredients we use in our self tan most people associate it with carrots and it does have a orange look to it.
Beta carotene is a precursor to vitamin A–the human body converts beta carotene into vitamin A on an as-needed basis. There is no toxicity level for beta carotene, so there is no need to worry about taking too much.
As a super food we love hawaiian spirulina, I was introduced to it by a friend about 6 years back, previously I was using a high street brand but discovered that theirs even though listed as organic was far inferior to hawaiian spirulina.
The hawaiian spirulina you can get is not listed as organic but is better than standard organic spirulina,the reason being that they have a dispute about getting certification and so the cultivators have decided against it.
Regardless, we think this super food is an excellent addition for improving your health and skin.
If you wish to get your hands on some you will need to get typing in your search engine as you won’t get it on the high street.
I admit I don’t like the taste too much, so I mix it into some form of smoothie but the health benefits are 10 fold.
People always ask me which special herb or super food should I use and I say there isn’t just one but many, so you should try and incorporate as many as possible into your diet, but if you’re on a budget there is a top 5 five and we have mentioned those before.
enjoy what you do love what you do till next time have fun